Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 16:28:29 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
To:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool, A White Snowy Christmas in Sunnyvale, California 8)

Drew Baxter wrote:

> Bad side is, only the ADSL providers will actually *maybe* let you run
> servers.  The cable providers have something against that, maybe it's due
> to the covert movement of illegal software and mpeg layer 3 media.

No, it's due to the fact that with cable modems, the upstream bandwidth is
shared, similar to Ethernet.  If lots of people on your (sub)net ran servers
which had lots of out-going traffic, they'd eat up all the bandwidth - even
affecting the relatively small amount needed to send Ack's for downstream
traffic.  @Home (my Internet provider) has, at least in certain areas,
supposedly put something in place to limit upstream bandwidth to 128Kbps
because sometimes people do run servers (even though they're not supposed
to).  I've noticed that my uploads to netnews do *not* go blazingly fast
- this is probably why.

It's a darn shame - I have a 24-hour connection to the 'net, and can't
even put up a personal web site from my own pc...  :-(

Gary