Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:31:20 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Brett G. Castleberry" <bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Cc:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, otter@tig.com.au, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD-Questions phobia [was: Very basic questions...]

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 02:05:56AM -0400, Brett G. Castleberry wrote:

>     FreeBSD.  As a really new newbie, I was glad to find a site just for us.
> But as a newbie, most of what I have to say is questions.  Sometimes I want
> to know about something and I think, "It's a question, so I ought to post it
> to 'questions', but I 'll sound like an idiot there.  And I can't post it to
> 'newbies' because they don't want questions."

In that case you post to -questions, and if anyone dares laugh at you
I'll have my attack-trained budgerigar drop its little presents all
over their keyboard! (You gotta see what he does to believe it, ugh!)

Do give freebsd-questions a go. We are no less eligible for the best
support available than any other members of the community, whatever our
needs are. As long as you show that you've made a reasonable effort to
help yourself, and provide sufficient information for someone to give
you an answer, nobody cares how beginnerish the question is, seriously!
You know, there's people who hang out in freebsd-questions for weeks,
just waiting for a question that's easy enough for them to answer. You
might be in that situation yourself soon, so don't be selfish, share
your questions on the -questions list while they're easy ones! :-)

Oh occasionally there's a dork, as there is in every large group, but
if you ever do get a hard time at least you can come back here and let
off steam about it with us because, *because* we don't do support on
this list. We're (theoretically) all only newbies here and if you're
feeling a bit upset about how non-newbies react it's kinda nice to be
able to thrash things out away from the inspection of the helpers
(including those who might happily help you next time round).

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-