Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:01:13 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lapic@2k interrukts eating CPU cycles

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 09:54 am, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2005 09:06 schrieb Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav:
> > Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net> writes:
> > > I don't know what lapic stands for (the l, if apic means
> > > AdvancedProgrammableInterruptController)
> >
> > local, meaning per-CPU as opposed to the IOAPIC which is located in
> > the south bridge and shared by all CPUs.
>
> Hmm, why do I see a lapic on my UP system? I've never seen before I
> upgraded to -current (short before the code freeze to help finding bugs)
> And what does the "ti" mean? ( from systat "2030 lapic0: ti" )
>
> Thanks a lot,

Every CPU since at least the PPro (and SMP-capable Pentiums) has had a loca=
l=20
APIC.  Using the APIC system instead of AT PIC allows PCI interrupts to not=
=20
be shared in most cases which is a good thing. :)  The 'ti' is short for=20
timer because systat chops of the names.  If you do 'vmstat -i' you will se=
e=20
the full name.

=2D-=20
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =3D  http://www.FreeBSD.org