Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 07:03:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        andrew@python.shoal.net.au (Andrew Perry)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: macintosh to freebsd ethernet?

Andrew Perry is responsible for:
> I've managed to setup my freebsd machine to dial up my provider and my
> windows95 machine connects through it to the internet.
>
> someone has asked me if it is possible to connect a macintosh to a freebsd
> machine in a similar situation, where the freebsd machine connects and
> maintains the link and the macintosh (and probably a windows machine as
> well) connect through it, can this be done??
>
> if so where does he start?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Andrew Perry
> andrew@shoal.net.au

It sounds to me like you are talking about routing IP packets for a
Macintosh through your FreeBSD box, across a modem, to the rest of the
Internet.  This should be absolutely no problem although you may need
to seriously consider getting a class C network of your own if you
want a handful of computers connecting via a single dialin.

If you want to provide file and print service to this Macintosh, in
addition to or instead of just internet access, you will need to
fiddle around with NETATALK (included with FreeBSD 2.2) or CAP.