Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 13:01:52 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Al Johnson <Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net>
Cc:        George <kf7nn@airmail.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nt printer

Al Johnson wrote:

> I'd suggest using Samba.  There is at least one thing
> to look out for though, if Your NT server 4.0 has
> Service Pack 3 then you can't use clear text passwords.
>
>  -- Al

I've found lpr/lpd to be easier to set up and very reliable. Install (in
your NT's Network Control Panel Applet) TCP/IP printing support. This
will make your NT server lpd compatible. Then all you have to do is set
up your FreeBSD's printcap file to point at a remote printer (exactly as
described in the Handbook). The name of the printer is the same as the
sharename given to it in NT. You'll have to use the -l flag to lpr to
print PostScript files, etc., as the NT server treats everything as text
files otherwise.

> George wrote:
>

> >  whats the easiest way to be able to print to my WIN NT printer that
> > is on my network? what files do i need to set up and what to put in
> > them?
> >
> > maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Nadav