Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:26:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MADV_SEQUENTIAL and GNU Grep

:So it works, then? GNU grep has this #ifdef'ed out, with a comment
:about it impacting negatively on performance on BSD 4.1. I recall
:some rants on this subject a couple of years ago... If it is
:working, I'd like to change that 0 to 1 in our tree.
:
:--
:Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)

    Yes, it will work.  Oops.  I do see one problem though... if you do
    this the underlying file object will be marked for sequential operation
    even after the grep (in this case) exits.  That is, an madvise() of
    MADV_NORMAL, SEQUENTIAL, or RANDOM appears to have a permanent effect
    on the object.  This is probably not correct behavior.  We could probably
    fix this by moving this particular flag from the object to the vm_entry.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>