Date:      01 May 2002 11:17:56 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intermittent sound problems with recent MFC of dev/sound

After the recent MFC of dev/sound (~ 4/22), I get this message
occasionally when trying to play sound (MP3, WAV, any sound):

Apr 27 14:08:43 gyros /kernel: pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout,
channel dead

This never happened with the old sound code.  This usually occurs right
off the bat after a cold boot of my laptop.  If I immediately reboot,
things work fine (well, except for vgb-bin which always has this problem
[I haven't tried vgb-bin with the old sound code yet]).

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 with:

pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
0xf8ffe000-0xf8ffffff irq 5 at device 3.0 on pci2

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> at io 0xec00 irq 5 (4p/1r/0v channels
duplex)

Loaded as a kmod from the loader.  Like I said, this is an intermittent
sound problem, but I thought I'd report it before the 4.6 code freeze.
For clarification, I'm running:

FreeBSD gyros.marcuscom.com 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Fri Apr 26
18:15:51 EDT 2002
marcus@gyros.marcuscom.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GYROS  i386

I didn't see anything in the archives that indicated this issue was
being discussed, but I have seen some other reports on stable@.  Thanks.

Joe

--
PGP Key: http://www.marcuscom.com/pgp.asc