Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:00:18 -0600
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <kuku@kukulies.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how long does a make buildworld normally take?

On 11/18/2016 09:49 AM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2016, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
>
>> how long does a make buildworld normally take?
>
> There are too many options to really nail that down.

<SNIP>

I have two example environments - both running 10.3-STABLE, updated and
recompiled nightly:

  Quad Core i5 3.2GHz / 8G - About 30 mins for full buildworld (including LLDB) and 2 kernels

  Single Core VPS Xeon CPU E5-2650L v3 @ 1.80GHz / 1G - As above, no LLDB - 5 hours

Bear in mind that the VPS is presumably sharing that core with many other instances, hence
the long compile times.   Also, it is severely memory constrained and is probably
swapping mightily during these compiles.

FWIW, I have noted that this is very much a CPU-bound problem.  Doing the work
on faster drives - like SSDs - seems to not make much difference on a given machine.
Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com