Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:28:50 +0800 (Taipei Standard Time)
From:      "Maren S. Leizaola" <maren@leizaola.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?jurri=EBn?= Koopmans <jjkoopmans@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timeouts on network

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, [iso-8859-1] jurri=EBn Koopmans wrote:

| when i try to connect my laptop (celly 700 with realtek 8139 100mbit
| network card (win98se os)) to my server (amd k6-2 400 with realtek 8139
| 100mbit network card (freebsd4.5)) i get a timeout on ftp transfers
| after about 50 kb/s with an speed of 5kb/s. smb tranfers looks like to
| reconnect many times and go very slowly. i can;t even play any mp3's
| over my 100mbit network. BUT with when i connect with my normal pc (amd
| thunderbird 900mhz with an 10mbit ne2k compatible network card ) to my
| freebsd machine i have good tranfers up to 1mB/s.

I've had this sort of problem is because I've had a Cat3 cable, ie
straight through, when I should have a Cat 5.  Cat 5 cable uses the 2346
and they are crossed over.  Is the cable ready made or did you crimp it
yourself?

Do the connections hang at all or are they contastantly slow?

I've had a similar problem, yesterday with a Dell Power Edge server and a
Catalyst 2924-XL-EN. I found out that the cat's port had got burn out
(which I am finding out happens often). If I turn the port to 10Mbit and
half duplex I got a full 10Mbit. I changed the port and a stable
connection.

| my problem is that i can not get a nice data transfer from my server to m=
| laptop. But uploading goes in a nice way. And when i use linux as a serve=
| os i also have no troubles.

Is the Linux server getting full 100Mbit connection? What throughput do
you get on it when you do an FTP? Are the throughputs constant or do they
vary?

Regards,
Maren.