Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2007 23:04:15 -0400
From:      Nathan Lay <nslay@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   -pureg doesn't stick

Hi list,
I have a recent build (July 1st) and running it as a wireless AP (with
hostapd WPA-PSK TKIP) using an atheros card (Netgear WG311T).  I've been
trying to get an 802.11b client on and I noticed the -pureg option
doesn't seem to stick at bootup.
e.g. this rc.conf line
ifconfig_ath0="ssid Lamp channel 9 mediaopt hostap -pureg up"

Maybe -pureg should be specified somewhere else in that line (I also
tried "-pureg ssid Lamp channel 9 mediaopt hostap up")?  Anyways, I have
to login and manually set ath0 to -pureg in order for the 802.11b client
to associate.

On the side, this same 802.11b client, which runs Windows XP SP2 on a
Thinkpad T41 with an Intel Pro Wireless 2100 card will crash both
6.2-RELEASE and 7.0-CURRENT with medium traffic (e.g. streaming radio).
On the 6.2 system, the backtrace indicated that the crash occurred in
the atheros driver itself ... though I don't have that core handy.  I
have no way to get the debugging information off of the 7.0 machine
until I get a serial cable, but the crash is fairly simple to reproduce
(The 6.2 system would crash 2-3 times a day due to this one client).

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay