Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 15:21:48 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        patl@asimov.volant.org, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        gryphon@healer.com, hackers@freebsd.org, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

To: patl@asimov.volant.org
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 11:09:05 -0700 (MST)
Cc: gryphon@healer.com, terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org,
        jmb@kryten.atinc.com, peter@taronga.com

From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
> > I think I missed some of the details of the Makefile proposal.  How

> I like the ability to manage a dependency graph, but I also think that
> the makefile approach is overly complicated... mostly because of the
> shared binaries that would have to be invoked before /usr is mounted

Make would have to be in /bin and be statically linked.
If you consider that unreasonable, then a simplified make does.

> I think my biggest objection is that it requires install-time configuration
> administration as part of the install.  I'd like to divorce that.  Say

Huh? You have to configure the install at install time <confused look>...

> we have a big OEM (like Rod 8-)) who puts BSD on every box.  He will put
> defaults for the configuration he sells in the packages themselves, and

He loads the packages, and runs "makerc".

If all the packages are the same, then he does it once, and copies the
configuration over. If they are not, then it's not the same install.

> >If it edits the Makefile...
>
> It doesn't.  Concatenation is the method I'd see it using.

Something like that. The startup chain (what gets run) would
be generated from scratch by "makerc". The target dependencies
would be concatenated from the information supplied by the packages.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 3 Hansom Drive, Merrimack, NH  03054
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...