Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:51:28 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Piotr Kielanowski <kiel@physics.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xterm: Inappropriate ioctl for device

On Thu, Sep 04, 1997 at 05:29:49PM -0500, Piotr Kielanowski wrote:
> Every time I open an xterm window or telnet to my FreeBSD 2.2.2 PC I get
> the message
>
> Must be on a virtual console: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Otherwise everything seems to works. I was not getting this message with
> an earlier version. Can you help?

Have you compiled a new kernel and removed the "options COMPAT_43" line?
I believe (although it's been a while since I last looked) that xterm needs
that line in the kernel config file.

If that is the case, simply add the line and build yourself a new kernel.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
        Diana, the roadkill formally known as Princess, 1961-1997    NC5-RIPE