Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:18:57 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   getfreebsdstuff [-cmd|-pkg|-port|-dist|-vVERS|...] thing ...

Is there a utility with the above functionality? That is, a single
command-line invocation that will fetch, compile if necessary, and
install one or more commands, distributions, packages, or ports?
For example,

  getfreebsdstuff -port "gnuplot*"

I have installed packages and ports, but the process is interactive
and tends to fail--I am probably doing things the "hard way" due to
lack of knowledge and would appreciate a steer toward the easy way.

-Greg