Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:39:14 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding a 'bpf' group for /dev/bpf*

For the benefit of packet sniffers and other things that only want
read-only access to /dev/bpf*, what do people think of adding a 'bpf'
group for those programs?  This allows bpf devices to be read by
programs running with an effective gid of 'bpf' instead of the current
requirement for an effective user of root.  I've been running this way
on many of our servers for several months now, and things like snort,
tcpdump, etc., are quite happy with it (under stable).

--lyndon