Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:51:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: APS Filter/JetDirect troubles...

> back on 02:33 PM 11/9/98 -0800, you said:
> >On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Leif Neland wrote:
> >
> >> or make two "printers", one who filters and outputs to the other
> >> "printer" who sends it to the remote.

It turns out I may have found something after all.  I'm going to give it a
shhot and report back, but in looking through some of the docs on APS
Filter, I ran across this in ChangeLog:

        * Corey Sweeney <corey@bbs.xnet.com> and many others ...
          want remote printing functionality ... ;-)
          Here it is, the ugly hack:
          bin/apsfilter: when setting REMOTE_PRINTER=True
          then we print to a printer named remote.
          So make a printer entry in /etc/printcap for your
          printer named remote and set the environment variable
          in bin/apsfilter ( ~ line 55)
          Please note, now everything is being sent to the
          _one_ remote printer ... sorry ... !!!!

And then this, in FAQ:

Q 1.9   What about remote printer support

        Ok, _one_ is now supported. Please make an entry in /etc/printcap
        for such a printer called "remote":

        remote|remotep|LJ4 remote on ethernet:\
                :lp=:\
                :rm=remote_host:\                       IP=addr
                :rp=remote_printer_name:\
                :sd=/var/spool/remote:\
                :lf=/var/spool/remote/log:\
                :mx#0:\
                :sh:sf:

        Create spool dir /var/spool/remote

                mkdir -p /var/spool/remote
                touch /var/spool/remote/log
                chown -R UID.GID /var/spool/remote
                chmod 775 /var/spool/remote

        where UID is the user id under that your lpd works and
        GID the group ID. Look, what SETUP did for your system ...

        Modify bin/apsfilter at ~ line 55. Set REMOTE_PRINTER by removing
        the '#' at the beginning of the line.
        #REMOTE_PRINTER=True

        This adds the command "| lpr -Premote" to the PRINT_PS
        variable ...

        Please note, that you loose control over your printjob now,
        since the lpr -Premote command is incoked under lpd permissions.
        So only root is allowed to kill jobs in the "remote" queue.

        Yes, this is an ugly hack, but many people reported, that
        they want and need it ;-)

Time to see what happens... :)