Date:      Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Waitman Gobble" <uzimac@da3m0n8t3r.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   question about pkgconf vs pkg-config

--bound1346515736

Hi,

According to /usr/ports/UPDATING we are supposed to switch to pkgconf.

20120726:
  AFFECTS: users of devel/pkg-config

  devel/pkg-config has been replaced by devel/pkgconf

I understand "replaced" to mean that pkg-config is out.

There does not appear to be a man page for pkgconf at the moment.

I have created a .pc file for libpq (databases/postgresql92-client), which works with pkg-config, ie
# pkg-config --libs libpq
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib

it's not found by pkgconf

# pkgconf  --libs libpq
Package libpq was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libpq.pc'
No package 'libpq' found

ie,
gcc48 -Wall `pkg-config --cflags --libs libpq` ...
vs
gcc48 -Wall `pkgconf --cflags --libs libpq` ...

# man pkgconf
No manual entry for pkgconf

# pkgconf --list-all
this list appears to be based on /var/db/pkgs, which maybe is the idea(?) anyhow, Postgres doesn't show up in --list-all.

I'm wondering about how to manually add libraries to pkgconf, or the proper way to get the Postgres Client port to register libpq. (and for example, libxine which appears to me to have a similar issue).

Thank you,

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA