Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:06:10 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Dan Shearer <dan@tellurian.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 cisco's and a fbsd box running bgp

Dan Shearer wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
>
> > If you are going to use FreeBSD for the routing why even
> > have the cisco's? Why not just have the T1's coming into
> > your FreeBSD box and then you can sell those cisco's or
> > something :)
> >
> > A fast CPU and decent amount of ram would beat those low
> > level cisco's easy! The only thing the cisco's seem to
> > have over FreeBSD are some of the more esoteric features
> > they can use...
>
> Do you have case studies that don't mind being cited to back this up?

Nope you will just have to take my word for it :P
But think about it logically... Every extra level of processing
and routing you add is going to slow things down...

If you are going to do routing with FreeBSD, then do it with
FreeBSD.. Its like plugging 2 cisco's together for the
same route, it just dosnt make sense... Unless there is some
reason why you want to keep the cisco's on there...

Dont get me wrong, cisco's are great, it just dosent make
sense to add extra layers of routing when you dont need to!