Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 22:33:53 +0100
From:      Johann Sharizan <johann@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Passive FTP/DCC behind NAT -- What ports do they go through?

Hello again,

Anyone here with an ADSL provider staticly connecting you through their NAT?
Anyone here with an Cisco 677i-DIR ADSL-router, which requires a port redirection
entry through telnet each time you want to open a new port? I've heard opening
them all can be destructive to your ugly black dildo-shaped routten, in fact I
tried it once, though I ain't no more.

All ordinary daemons; SSHD, FTPD, BIND, Apache etc. works great;

ftpd/sshd:      set nat entry add 10.0.0.2 20-22 0.0.0.0 20-22 tcp
www:            set nat entry add 10.0.0.2 80 0.0.0.0 80 tcp
bind:           set nat entry add 10.0.0.2 53 0.0.0.0 53 tcp
identd:         set nat entry add 10.0.0.2 113 0.0.0.0 113 tcp

I'm a bit uncertain, however, when it comes to opening a port or range of ports
to get passive FTP mode working on my virtual ProFTPD server (port 2001), as well
as DCC in Irssi. I've heard those services go through the IANA-registered
ephemeral port-range (49152-65535);

sysctl net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst
      /net.inet.ip.portrange.hilast

So I went ahead opening those ports as well. Just about to close them
though. Passive and DCC is not working. Incoming DCC file transfers are,
according to Irssi, coming from ports way lower -- i.e. 4384.

What do I open and what do I not?

Thanks.

Regards,
Johann