Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:59:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIXED -->  Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:
> Sorry, I don't have null-modem cable or 3c5x9cfg.exe or DOS here, but
> I did some hacks.  By follwing patch made referring to 3-STABLE code,
> system was passed ep probe/attach routine with correct mac address and
> stopped /etc/rc.network in userland now. BTW, I found very strange
> thing, my system stopped at epstop() in ep_attach()...

You've totally not solved the problem.

This is what is happening:

	- The PnP enumerator runs and identifies PnP devices.
	  - The 3c509 board is found and a device is created.
	- ep_isa_identify() runs and finds -the same board- and
	  pulls the last configured (with 3c5x9cfg.exe) settings
	  from the EEPROM.  The board is activated.
	- ep_isa_probe() runs against the device created by
	  ep_isa_identify().
	- The PnP system activates the 3c509 device that the
	  enumerator found and assigns it resources.
	- ep_isa_probe() runs against the PnP device.
	- ep_isa_attach() runs against both devices, confusing
	  them to no end.

If you want a quick hack, comment out the IDENTIFY device method in
if_ep_isa.c.

The 3.4 driver doesn't do the right thing.  Just hacking the driver so it
prints out the right ethernet address isn't the goal.  The goal is to
figure out why we aren't able to detect that the 3c509 is in PnP mode in
ep_isa_identify().  The documentation I have suggests that only the
3c509-B indicates PnP mode via the bits tested; this didn't concern me as
the normal 3c509s don't have a PnP setting available in the 3c5x9cfg.exe
util.  If there is some other way of activing PnP (maybe the 'TEST' area
of the board has a pencil mark in it?) then I need to figure out how to
catch this condition.

You need to get 3c5x9cfg.exe and run it.  I have a feeling that your
EEPROM may have some corruption or something.  Also, pull your card and
erase any markings in the test area of the card.

ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c5x9/3c5x9x.exe is the 3c5x9 driver/util disk.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |