Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2006 18:54:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Desmond Coughlan <coughlandesmond@yahoo.fr>
Subject:   cheapskate webmail interface

  Me Again,

  The good news is that it's working.  :)  There must be some incompatibility with 6.2-RELEASE as on a whim, I tried 5.5, and it worked first time.  So you guys are owed a beer, if you get to Paris!  Our setup looks like this ...

  > df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    124M     54M     59M    48%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad1s1d    1.9G    138K    1.8G     0%    /home
/dev/ad1s1e    1.9G     68K    1.8G     0%    /share
/dev/ad0s1d    496M    7.5M    449M     2%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1e    8.0G    896M    6.5G    12%    /usr
/dev/ad1s1f     14G     53M     13G     0%    /var

  We had some problems whilst configuring the kernel, but after going back to GENERIC and changing only the name ('RASHI'), and the 'cpu' lines, and adding QUOTA, everything worked.

  > uname -a
FreeBSD rachi.XXXX.fr 5.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.5-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct  3 19:42:15 CEST 2006     root@rachi.XXXX.fr:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/RACHI  i386

  I've got a working install of sendmail on the machine now, and postgreSQL and apache are also reporting for duty.

  Now we just need forums and webmail.  The latter will be http://www.phpbb.com/ but for webmail, we're having difficulty finding a free solution.  ismail won't install from the ports, and other than that, everything I've found looks to be in the region of 250 $US.  As I believe I've mentioned, the organisation is a school, and that sort of money just isn't in the kitty.  So my options are to write it in perl myself... oh G-d, we want it to be working before Passover 2010!  Or we find an open source version.

  So once again, I throw myself at your feet....

  Thanks.

  D.