Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:57:59 -0500
From:      clatter <clatter@crosswinds.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I hope nobody blows a gasket, but...

I have a technical question in regards to installing FreeBSD.  Right
now, i am suffering in this stultified Windows environment and need
help.  I've managed to figure out and successfully set up just about
everything with FreeBSD except for one, glaring aspect.  I cannot
install the boot manager to my first hard drive, nor can i access the
boot sector using the FreeBSD set up program.  The truth is, i have
installed FreeBSD on my second hard drive.  Well, i've thus far had to
reinstall at least 15 or more times in the past 3 days because i cannot
get FreeBSD to boot up.  I've tried editing the BIOS to boot from my D:
drive (my second drive where FreeBSD is located), but it didn't work
(and that makes life harder for other people using the computer who
don't want to use FreeBSD anyway). I've tried numerous ways, inside the
fdisk/partitioning part of the setup utility to do this as well.  The
main problem is, that the boot manager is ineffectual.  It does
nothing.  I am not able to INSTALL the system on my second drive, then
go back, change the selected drive to my first one, and INSTALL the boot
manager into the boot sector of my first hard drive (where windows, etc.
is located).  This is driving me insane and i sincerely hope that some
kind soul out there can help me, and that i will not be abused for
asking this question.  The documentation i have read on the matter (in
"The Complete FreeBSD 3" book and in the Website's numerous sections)
haven't helped me one iota.  Every one of their suggestions could not be
implemented.  So anyway, i'll shutup now, but the long and the short of
it is:  Can i go back and install the boot manager into the boot sector
of my first hard drive, (drive C:), after installing FreeBSD on my
second physical drive, (drive D:).  And, fyi, the C: drive is the
primary master and the D: drive is the primary slave.  I thank anyone
who can help me in this matter.

will