Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:21:56 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Sysop_Blast IRCOP" <sysop_blast@hotmail.com>, kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: releng questions

No, you can get the kernel in binary form for each _release_, so if you only
do fresh installs from CD-ROM you never need to recompile the kernel.

There are also binary images (ISOs) of the Beta releases; however, if you
want to keep up with stable on a regular basis the, yes, you must recompile.

This is really a very painless process.  I always reconfigure mine, and I
recommend this in fact, but it's not necessary, and just recompiling could
scarcely be simpler.

Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   bts@babbleon.org