Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 01:23:35 -0700
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how secure is NT?

Steve Price wrote:

> I just got the strangest request.  Today while at a customer's
> facility I was given the IP address of an NT box and was asked
> to try to break into it.  All he told me about the box was that
> it was using NT 4.0 and was running a VPN.  Does anyone have any
> ideas or pointers to known NT exploits?
>
> I know this is a very bizarre request and not directly related
> to FreeBSD, so please keep all replies to me and only on -chat
> if you _must_ reply to the list.  Thanks.

I wonder if NT's ftp server is vulnerable to a "bounce" attack.  nmap
takes note of this:

http://www.insecure.org/

The site's format has changed, so I can't find the specific info, but
may other exploits are detailed.

--
Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu

"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything."
	-- A. L.