Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:41:29 -0400
From:      David Gurvich <david.gurvich@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wireless network with wpa

Hello,
I would like to know what might be happening with a particular network
configuration.  Wireless router using wpa, wired router provides dhcp
and connects to DSL modem.  The wireless card involved is a mini-pci
intel 2100 using the if_ipw driver.  I could not get this card working
at all with 6.3, though it seems to work with 7.

=46rom time to time, the ability to resolve the address of the wired
router disappears along with DNS resolution. If I  'wpa_cli reassociate'
it comes back.  The most confusing issue is that the connection to the wire=
less router
is never lost.  I can always ping the wireless router and access the
control panel with a web browser. =20

A computer connected directly to the wired router had issues with the
ethernet using FreeBSD and Linux, but not Solaris.  An apple computer
using Gentoo/OSX had no issues with either wired or wireless.

I cannot replicate the issue, it simply recurs through use.  OSX had no pro=
blem
with either wpa or wired connection.  Solaris only had issues with
unsupported hardware.  Linux on the x86 box had problems with wired
connections, but none on the powermac.

I suspect the 3c905b card in the x86 card may be a problem, though
there have been no issues since Solaris had been installed.

Any ideas on the problem are welcome.