Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:42:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Emulation Root (was: Re: Linux emulation scripting fix  to be committed to 5.x and 4.x wednesday)

:
:In message <200004231835.LAA62963@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon
:writes:
:>     I intend to commit this to -current and immediately MFC it to -stable.
:>     I don't expect there to be any controversy though I'm sure there is a
:>     cleaner way to do it.
:
:On a semi-related topic, it would be handy to have a feature,
:environment variable, table in the kernel, a sysctl variable, etc., to
:set the Linux emulation root to the real root.  For example, the backup
:component of Legato for Linux (nsrexecd and friends) runs nicely on
:under Linux emulation, however, recovering files in the root directory
:sees them placed in the Linux emulation root directory.
:
:To work around this I've used a union filesystem that mounted / on
:another mount point and redirected my restores to it.
:
:My questions are:
:
:Is there a cleaner way to work around this, e.g. some tunable knob to
:tune Linux emulation?  If not, would anyone else see any use for this
:kind of feature?
:
:
:Regards,                       Phone:  (250)387-8437
:Cy Schubert                      Fax:  (250)387-5766

    I had to struggle with this issue during the Oracle install... the
    fact that under linux emulation the 'root' per say is rather loosely
    defined.

    I wound up having to chroot into /compat/linux to even come close to
    getting oracle to install (and locating all the linux utilities with
    FreeBSD equivalents that weren't installed in /compat/linux, causing
    the freebsd utilities to be run and of course fail due to missing
    or different options).

    The only thing I can think of us is to overlay the linux directory
    structure on top of the FreeBSD directory structure via union mounts.
    In otherwords, be able to chroot to /compat/linux and 'see' the entire
    FreeBSD directory structure (minus changes made via the mount to get
    all the linux binaries, libraries, etc, and such).  We would then get
    rid of the /compat/linux prefix pathing entirely and simply have
    linux emulation automatically chroot to /compat/linux when a non-linux
    program exec's a linux program in order to access the modified view of
    the filesystem.

    Messy, I know.  I don't know if there is a clean solution to the problem.
    At least if we use union mounts the whole mess is isolated away from
    the native FreeBSD install (note: we'd have to clean up union mounts
    to make them work properly).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>