Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:49:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jeff T <jefft0086@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86

Jeff T <jefft0086@yahoo.com> types:
> Hi.  I recently downloaded FreeBSD 4.2-install and I
> installed it.  I managed to get it online, but have
> been having a great deal of difficulty with the
> X-Server.  I have a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP.  I noticed that
> the latest Voodoo card that the X-Server supported was
> the Voodoo 3.  I can run the X-Server, but it is
> extremely pixilated and at 800x600 resolution only.
> How can I fix this.  (I am using Window Maker)

I suspect that the version of XFree86 installed with FreeBSD doesn't
support the Voodoo 3. As root, *not* running inside of X, do the
following:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
# make
# rm -rf /usr/X11R6
# make install
# xf86config		# or use xf86cfg instead.

And don't do the rm if the first make fails.

This will update your XFree86 to a newer version. Note that you have
to do this interactively, as it warns you about the security problems
with this version of XFree86, and you have to acknowledge that.

	<mike
--
Mike Meyer					http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for rates.