Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:42:54 -0500
From:      "Miroslav Pendev" <miro@cybershade.us>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   qmail timeout problem

Hi people,

I just setup FreeBSD 4.7 RELEASE as web and mail server with
qmail, Courier IMAP and POP3. Everything work fine except:

When somebody is trying to send email to the server it timeouts
more than 60 seconds. The email client is just waiting for something
and after this time the email is sent.

This is happening just from time to time not always!
The qmail is started under tcpserver.

I thought this is DNS problem so I put -H -P -R -l0 (el zero)
options to tcpserver. For now (last few hours) it seems to be fine
but I am not sure.

I did noticed that there is no reverse resolv record for this server.

Is it possible this to be the problem? Is it necessary qmail to be
setup on system with existing reverse lookup record?

If so, who is responsible for the reverse lookup - the ISP or my
DNS service provider?

If the problem is not with the DNS then it is something with the
way qmail is working on FreeBSD 4.7...

Is there somebody else with similar problem?

Any ideas are very welcome! (especially from DNS gurus :-) )

-----
Miro

*Maniac in the field of Quantum Electronics*