Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:34:12 +0100
From:      "Volker Sturm" <v.sturm@gmx.de>
To:        "'Edwin Groothuis'" <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AW: defaultroute?

Well,
I am using NAT on the gateway, gateway_enable is set to yes and the IP
adresses of my ISP's DNS servers are present in both the gateways and
the client machines' resolv.conf files. If I comment out either the DNS
or the defaultroute entries on the client netscape does not stop
responding. It notices at once that it won't either get a connection nor
be able to resolve any names. Therefore I guess that the problem is that
it tries to resolve something and it doesn't get a response which is a
little weird in my opinion cos it could always be that someone happens
to start netscape without a open internet connection. And then netscape
just shouldnt hang for minutes. On the gateway there is no default route
defined as I don't need one. Just the DNS entries of the ISP in
resolv.conf. On that machine it works fine even when there's no internet
connection. Maybe the deal is to somehow tell netscape or any program
that tries to resolve names something like: If you don't have luck with
resolving names by the provided name servers don't try it via the
default route and just stop looking stuff up...
I will try tcpdump although I don't have any experience with it. I hope
it shows a hint. But maybe someone knows how to configure things like I
said.

Regards once more,
Volker Sturm

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----