Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 11:54:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael A. Endsley" <me@corecom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Michael A. Endsley wrote:

> >> I have a dos partion set aside for FreeBSD which is my "E" drive. FreeBSD
> >> shows me 3 slices:
> >> Primary (dos)
> >> extended (dos)
> >> OS2
>
> >FreeBSD won't install to a logical drive within a partition.
> Thanks for this info!
> Please understand, I have read everything I could till I am about totally
> confused ;) If I delete logical partition E, then OS/2 (logical drive F)
> will then assume the letter E, then won't run obviously.

However, the extended partition where the logical disk existed will still
contain the space used by it.

> I also read (and hope I understood it correctly) that FBSD will try to
> take the first area on my HD. Would that then move Dos/Windoze? What I am
> trying to do is put FBSD in the same area that the E partition was so that
> OS/2 will still boot.  Apparently this can't be done?? Maybe I read so
> much I got totally confused.  If so, my apologies to all for this posting.

I don't know what you mean by the'first area'.  FreeBSD could care less
where it is on the disk, but your BIOS will.  Some BIOSs can't boot any
OSs that are beyond 1024 cylinders.

> IF above is true about not installing FreeBSD, does anybody know if Linux
> (sorry) would work?

You'll probably run into the same problems no matter what OS you want to
put on.

For your situation, I think a new disk would suit you very nicely.  I had
a very similar setup to yours and found it a real trick to wedge a
decent-sized FreeBSD slice between my DOS and OS/2 slices and still have
enough room left for both on a 1gb disk.  I bought a cheap 500mb disk at a
local swap meet and dedicated it.  That worked really well, until I filled
it. :)