Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 19:30:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, tom@sdf.com, capriotti@geocities.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

> BTW,  you made a comment about Linux ease of installation.  Which Linux?

Any Linux for which the Linux camp is willing to send out a schmuck
to endure the pain on your behalf is basically painless to install.

It's topologically equivalent to having very, very good install tools.

;-).

Also, I screwed up my otherwise beautiful example with a factual
error:

> > The Catholic Church vs. Galileo was mostly the
> > result of him writing Principia Mathematica in Italian instead of
> > Latin -- "us commoners" of the time couldn't read or write Latin, and
> > new ideas needed to be fit into Church doctrine over time so that
> > "us commoners" wouldn't see abrupt changes and thus erode the
> > claim to authority of the Church.  8-).

Galileo, of course, did not write Principia Mathematica, which was
of course, written in Latin, not Italian.  Thanks to Pedro Giffuni
for pointing this out (to my terrific embarrassment -- I almost never
make this kind of error).

The book I should have referenced was De Revolutionibus orblure
coelestium ("The Revolution of the heavens", not "Mathematical
Principles").

Anyone interested in a detailed account of the event should see
http://www.knight.org/advent/cathen/06342b.htm

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---