Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:16:28 +1000
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-fs@mawer.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
Subject:   Re: rsync and smb.

On 2/08/2007 4:42 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Remko Lodder wrote:
>>> According to http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=78953 ,
>>> this bug is triggered if you have a directory with exactly 50
>>> files in it.
>>> --
>>> Craig Rodrigues        rodrigc@crodrigues.org
>>
>> I am not seeing that as well, I created 50 simple text files:
>>
>> [remko@guardian /mnt]$ rsync --ignore-errors -r /mnt/test/ /opt/share3
>> [remko@guardian /mnt]$ ls -l /opt/share3 | wc -l
>>       50
>> [remko@guardian /mnt]$ ls -l /mnt/test | wc -l
>>       50
>
> probably 50 files in a new directory

Peter, the patch you Craig Rodrigues provided is the one from the bug
report, and is NOT included in -STABLE ... you will need to apply it
manually and then see if this solves the problem. Please let us know if
it solves the problem, as another report of it solving the issue without
causing any regressions will assist in getting this committed to
-STABLE. It is included in -CURRENT, so will be there when 7.0-RELEASE
comes out.

I have found the patch works quite well. The error it reports is in
itself, harmless, but is problematic with rsync because rsync changes
its behaviour when errors are encountered.

The problem does not appears using ls, which is probably why you are not
seeing it when using ls on a directory.

The issue is that smbfs requests directory listings in groups of 52
items, and if the number of files/directories in a listing falls on a
multiple of 52 (including . and ..), then SMBFS is attempting to request
the "next 52 items" on the listing when it is actually at the end of the
listing. The remote SMB server then sends back an error because there
are no more items.

As such, no files are missing from the listing -- it is simply because
the smbfs client is attempting to read past the end of the directory
listing, so the server sends an error.

Jim Carroll did all the hard work tracking down and fixing this issue 18
months ago -- he deserves full credit for his persistence in tracking
this down! It was committed to -CURRENT by bp@ (original smbfs author),
but never got MFC'd. I bugged re@ to see if this could get MFC'd when I
realised it wasn't included in 6.2-PRERELEASE, and bmah@ had a quick
look and updated the bug status... but I haven't seen any action beyond
that in terms of an MFC.

Unfortunately smbfs suffers from lack of an active maintainer -- there
are lots of rough edges that have had fixes in Darwin that would be nice
for someone with the time to pick up and port across where they make
sense. Maybe this should be added to the Ideas page?

There are also these patches I am led to believe may potentially help
with communicating with OSX versions of Samba (which likes to talk
unicode). They may have bit-rotted since and so may need updating for
-CURRENT:

     http://people.freebsd.org/~imura/kiconv/

... in short, the patch by Jim Carroll appears to fix this problem in my
experience, and I am running with it in production without causing any
regressions (at least that I have observed -- more eyes are always
welcome). Thanks!

--Antony