Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:17:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Neo-Vortex <root@Neo-Vortex.net>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        hampi@rootshell.be
Subject:   Re: disabling ipv6 with ppp

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Brian Somers wrote:

> Use ``disable ipv6'' - see the man page.
> Put ``NOINET6=true'' in /etc/make.conf to make IPv6 go away entirely.
>
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:45:24 +0100, Hanspeter Roth <hampi@rootshell.be> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using ppp. Even though INET6 is disabled in the kernel there is
> > some INET6 stuff configured. Netstat -rn shows:

> > Internet6:
> > Destination                       Gateway                       Flags      Netif Expire
> > ::1                               ::1                           UH          lo0
> > fe80::%lo0/64                     fe80::1%lo0                   U           lo0
> > fe80::1%lo0                       link#4                        UHL         lo0
> > ff01::/32                         ::1                           U           lo0
> > ff02::%lo0/32                     ::1                           UC          lo0
> > ff02::%tun0/32                    fe80::20f:3dff:feae:5416%tun0 UGS        tun0
> >
> > The last route to 'ff02::%tun0/32' appears only if ppp is running.
> > Some seconds after ppp is startet (ppp -quiet -auto isp) it goes
> > online. Trying to delete the route by hand claims it is a bad
> > address:
> >
> > 	route delete 'ff02::%tun0/32'
> > route: bad address: ff02::%tun0/32

PPP Running with IPv6 support or not means nothing if those addresses
appear or not, it is because your kernel is compiled with IPv6 support, so
the link local addresses as you see will appear, also, if you want to try
to remove them, you will most likely need to put -inet6 on the command
line, although i don't believe it is possible to remove link local
addresses... ie - disable it in your kernel and it will disappear (you
might also want to disable it for world programs too as someone has
stated in case of any problems...)