Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 11:34:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dots in usernames?

Enter username [a-z0-9_-]: a.test
Wrong username. Please use only lowercase characters or digits
Enter username [a-z0-9_-]:

Just a quick question.  If I force this by modifying this tidbit of the
adduser script:

sub new_users_name_valid {
    local($name) = @_;

    if ($name !~ /^[a-z0-9_][a-z0-9_\-]*$/ || $name eq "a-z0-9_-") {
        warn "Wrong username. " .
            "Please use only lowercase characters or digits\a\n";
        return 0;

will it break anything?  I know I can add an alias; I'm just hoping to
simplify things for the user in question.  I suppose after doing that, a
make world & rebuild of any ports using utmp would be in order?

melange@yip.org - Mustard gas: The kids love it!