Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:18:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@packetdesign.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf leak? fxp?

Archie Cobbs writes:
> I have this machine that starts running out of mbufs every few days
> ("looutput: mbuf allocation failed") and then crashes, and was wondering
> if anyone else has seen similar behavior...
>
> For example...
>
>     Yesterday...
> 	    $ netstat -m
> 	    461/624/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
> 		    459 mbufs allocated to data
> 		    2 mbufs allocated to packet headers
> 	    434/490/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
> 	    1136 Kbytes allocated to network (36% of mb_map in use)
> 	    0 requests for memory denied
> 	    0 requests for memory delayed
> 	    0 calls to protocol drain routines
>
>     Today...
> 	    $ netstat -m
> 	    947/1072/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
> 		    945 mbufs allocated to data
> 		    2 mbufs allocated to packet headers
> 	    920/946/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
> 	    2160 Kbytes allocated to network (70% of mb_map in use)
> 	    0 requests for memory denied
> 	    0 requests for memory delayed
> 	    0 calls to protocol drain routines
>
> It appears that something is slowly eating up mbuf clusters.
> The machine is on a network with continuous but very low volume
> traffic, including some random multicast, NTP, etc. The machine
> itself is doing hardly anything at all.

Well, my current guess is that this is simply an NMBCLUSTERS problem.
I increased NMBCLUSTERS to 8192 and it hasn't happened again yet.

This machine has 5 ethernet interfaces, which must be probably more
than the default NMBCLUSTERS can handle.

I wonder if we should increase the default NMBCLUSTERS, or document
somewhere that > 4 interfaces requires doing so?

Thanks for all the suggestions...

-Archie