Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 02:24:01 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@flarn.it.ca>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there an equivalent of newgrp in FreeBSD?

I've always found the lack of something equivalent to newgrp to be a bit
of a hassle.  Not a big hassle, just a bit of one....  I think the
default file creation group *should* be a function of whatever creates
the file (fopen(), etc), so it's hard to imagine it being set by a
separate program or even an environment variable.  I've never looked at
source for Solaris' newgrp, so I don't know what it *really* does.  ;)

> Funny about this.  I was just researching it yesterday.  Can you say
> what happens under Solaris if I (user grog) am a member of groups
> lemis and wheel, and my currently active group is lemis, when I try to
> open this file?
>
> -rw-r-----   1 root  wheel     94 Mar 31 10:45 foo.c
>
> On FreeBSD, it will work, because there's no concept of "currently
> active group".

In Solaris, the newgrp-selected group only affects the "default", not
the permissions.  If you're in a group, you have permissions according
to that group.  Perhaps it sets the egid for the shell, and fopen()'s
grab that instead of using the directory's group (notwithstanding the
setgid bit)?  I dunno.