Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:57:14 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        MrChevy <captainauto@lightspeed.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which OS to install

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 06:03:10AM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> > I'm a newbie to UNIX, and was wondering: I have a spare pentium system
> > laying around, and am going to set it up fully freeBSD or Turbolinux.
> > Which would you personally recommend?
>
> If you ask a FreeBSD user, they'll recommend FreeBSD; if you ask
> a Linux user, they'll go for Linux; same for NetBSD, OpenBSD,
> BSDI, Solaris, etc.  Obviously, people here think that FreeBSD
> is best.  The main reason for considering Linux is its large
> user base -- but that's an argument for Win95 or NT and so it
> doesn't have much force.

I've run FreeBSD -current for about 3 years now, and linux for
a month or so.  Before that I made the mistake of running BSDI.

> The BSD systems have a much longer heritage than Linux and have
> been worked on by a large group of people who have a vast amount
> of collective experience, leading to a robust and well-tested
> platform.  Linux is basically a (very well-done) student project
> that happened to take off because of political factors that have
> faded into insignificance in this fast-moving world.  However,
> because it's all new and because much of it has been written by
> people without much real experience, it's technically inferior
> to any BSD system.  (And lots of people will disagree with this
> claim.)

Parts of FreeBSD seem to me to be more mature, especially in the
core parts of the system.

Linux seems to be more complete overall.

Take FreeBSD-current as of 2/1/1999 and Linux Redhat 5.2 with 2.2.1
kernel on my laptop.

FreeBSD never crashes, however, pccard services don't work well and
can lockup the system.  The sound system, voxware or pcm, doesn't work
well.

Linux locks up the system once per week, however, pccard services
work perfectly as does the sound system.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>