Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:40:05 GMT
From:      "Alexander I. Mogilny" <sg@astral.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/92513: xinint login difficulty

The following reply was made to PR i386/92513; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Alexander I. Mogilny" <sg@astral.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:38:16 +0200

 Shane wrote me on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 08:57:16PM +0000

 > I'm having several issues. The first is that I can't find the correct
 > .xinitrc to edit so that when I, " startx " or what I've been using
 > "xinit startkde",

   .xinitrc file should be located in $HOME directory. This is a simple
 SHELL script. You may put here all commands you need to be executed when
 you start your X client. Here is the example of it:

 #!/bin/sh
 /usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment

 Comments are '#' as in usual SHELL scripts. .xinitrc file should be
 executable. If it is not present in your home directory - create it.
 For more information you may reffer to xinit (1) manual page.

 > want to start a graphical interface I get KDE without
 > a "login" window within the KDE environment. When I start an xterm window
 > I get an error "KDE seems to be running already on this display" that I
 > don't know how to fix.

    We need more clarification here. When do you get such message? What
 actions do you perform before this?

 > I also don't know how to comment out what's not
 > needed in the xinitrc file, whether it's #, \, /, or <--*-->, etc...
 > Your assistance would be appreciated.

 Commenting out is done by # character.

 --
 AIM-UANIC