Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 2015 21:03:48 +0100
From:      Toby Slight <tobyslight@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   10.2 Encrypted UFS install always fails

Hi there,

I have tried 3 times on 2 separate devices (ThinkPad T430 and Gigabyte Brix
GB-BXBT-2807), to do an encrypted UFS install of 10.2, following the
instructions found here:

http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/fde

Every time I end up at the screen pictured below, after a panic:

http://i.imgur.com/p61geNS.jpg

Is there something missing from that guide? Some change in 10.2 that it
doesn't account for? Or does anyone have any other ideas where I might be
going wrong?

To paraphrase my disk setup procedure:

gpart create -s gpt ada0
gpart add -t freebsd-boot -s 512k -a 4k ada0
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l bootfs -s 1g -a 1m ada0
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l encrypted -a 1m ada0
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0
geli init -b -s 4096 ada0p3
geli attach ada0p3
newfs -U /dev/ada0p2
newfs -U /dev/ada0p3.eli
mount /dev/ada0p3.eli /mnt
mkdir /mnt/unenc
mount /dev/ada0p2 /mnt/unenc
mkdir /mnt/unenc/boot
ln -s unenc/boot /mnt/boot
vi /tmp/bsdinstall_etc/fstab
vi /tmp/bsdinstall_boot/loader.conf

fstab:

/dev/ada0p2     /unenc ufs     rw,noatime      1       1
/dev/ada0p3.eli  /       ufs     rw,noatime      2       2

loader.conf:

geom_eli_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:ada0p3.eli"
aesni_load="YES