Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:32:12 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
Cc:        David Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi and ex origen

> >Here is the family tree:
> >
> >                               ed
> >                          ex         sed
> >                      vi
> >                  vim   elvis [other vi like editors]

there were a couple of more respones, in which I mentioned that ex and
vi are the same program, and someone else suggested that it was first
ex, and then the vi was added.

So, was it always vi and ex, or was it first ex, and later vi?

The answer: both.

BSD 1 had ex, while BSD 2 had ex and vi.

But: vi was included in the ex in BSD 1, by the command :vi ; it just
didn't have it's own name from the command line . . .

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail