Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:59:00 +0100
From:      Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs@onlinehome.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   unsure about /etc/hosts

Hi,

I am at the moment unsure about the localhost entries in my /etc/hosts. From
/usr/src/etc/hosts I have found this one:

# Host Database
#
# This file should contain the addresses and aliases for local hosts that
# share this file.  Replace 'my.domain' below with the domainname of your
# machine.
#
#
::1			localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.my.domain

So my hostname is I.and.I so the /etc/hosts entry must be:
::1			localhost localhost.and.I
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.and.I

Now regarding some programs (e.g. mutt) this option is not able to deliver
mail locally instead putting it in /var/spool/mqueue or
/var/spool/clientmqueue.

If I use this:
::1			localhost I.and.I
127.0.0.1		localhost I.and.I

I have no problems with sending the mail locally. So I am a little bit
confused about what is the correct way to define the localhost in
/etc/hosts.

Thanx in advance

Oliver
--