Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:38:33 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.diespammer@netfence.it>
To:        Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror losing drive

Danny Howard wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure on this one ... you have RTFM?

Obviously. I started with the tutorial at
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/, but I read the whole manual
before setting it up.

> There's "gmirror
> configure -a" ... but that is about synchronization.

Yes, and synchronization works fine.

> What does gmirror info says before you forget / insert?

Hm, I'd have to reboot.

Right now it says:

Geom name: gm0
State: COMPLETE
Components: 2
Balance: split
Slice: 2048
Flags: NONE
SyncID: 5
ID: 2253479574
Providers:
1. Name: mirror/gm0
    Mediasize: 36778544640 (34G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r3w3e2
Consumers:
1. Name: da1
    Mediasize: 36778545152 (34G)
    Sectorsize: 512
    Mode: r3w3e3
    State: ACTIVE
    Flags: DIRTY
    SyncID: 5
    ID: 4172309470

Geom name: gm0.sync

After a reboot I only see da1 under Consumers and State is DEGRADED
(Componentis are still 2, though).

> My hunch is that you are not rebooting cleanly, so when the system comes
> up, gmirror thinks it has to re-sync the disks

I would expect this behaviour, but:
a) I am rebooting cleanly;
b) it doesn't just need resync (that happened to me on another machine),
it really loses one drive/Consumer!!!

> but it is not configured to do so automatically?

It is, and in fact it does, as soon as I forget/reinsert da0.

> What command / process did you use to set up your mirror?

Hard to remember. I more or less followed the tutorial above.

BTW: system is 5.3p9 now

  bye & Thanks
	av.