Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2002 15:49:20 -0500
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: Is the beastie masculine or feminine? (Was: Re: The BSD daemon)

David replied in response to a message that didn't make it to me,

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 09:57:19PM +0100 Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de> wrote:
> > dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
> >  > But in English, "his" does not denote gender, unless indicated
> >  > otherwise by context (whereas "her" always indicates gender).

> > I think you're wrong.  I learned at school:  "his" == male,
> > "her" == female, "its" == neuter.  When you don't know the
> > gender of a person, you simply write "his or her".

Then you were taught a PC Revised English, not English.

> > At least that's how you should do it in order to be
> > respectful and "politically correct".
>
> Here's where different standards of usage appear.  You might say
> to a coworker, "A manager must be honest in his or her conduct."

Quite frankly, the admitted purpose of PCRE is an Orwellian attempt to
control how people think.  This reason alone is sufficient for me to
refuse to use it.

hawk

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail