Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:21:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

:On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 02:49:57PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
:> > Please keep in mind that if, in our haste, we import a compiler that
:> > puts instability into FreeBSD, then we've drunk poison.  The feature
:>
:> A legit concern, but also realize that all of us are talking about
:> 4.0 here - the new compiler would be an issue we'd have up to a full
:> year on before the product it's in goes mainstream.  If that's not enough
:> time to work out the compiler issues after switching, I can't imagine
:> when we WILL have a better time to try and do this then.  Progress
:> entails some pain, and if we're unwilling to suffer any at all then
:> progress ceases entirely.
:
:Agreed.
:
:--
:Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
:     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?
:          http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~fsmp/SMP/akgraph-a/graph1.html
:             "NT = Not Today" (Maggie Biggs)      ``powered by FreeBSD SMP''
:

    I like idea of being able to choose between two different compilers
    on the fly -- as in with a kernel config option or a make.conf option.

    I don't think we can 'replace' gcc in 4.x.  It will screw up too many
    people trying to track down bugs, including me.

    					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>