Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 06:32:05 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Philip Rust <prust@NEWLIFE.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: check out this article

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 at 15:02:14 -0500, Philip Rust wrote:
> Hey, I was wondering if I could get a response from you guys about
> this link.  I know that it does not talk about FreeBSD, but Red Hat
> Linux instead, but I see it as relavent to the Unix and open source
> community in general.  For example, I have been telling my boss the
> good things about FreeBSD and open source and Linux (hey, I'd rather
> use Linux than NT), and so he shows me this article as to why he
> wouldn't be open to any kind of free Unix. So what do you guys think
> about this:  here's the link:
>
>  http://www.mindcraft.com/whitepapers/nts4rhlinux.html
>
> I mean, is there some kind of flaw or technical bias in this article?

I don't know.. the testing was sponsored by Microsoft themselves.  Now
I'm not saying that there is, but given their business practices I
wouldn't be totally shocked.

Btw, doesn't Microsoft get pissed and threaten lawsuits if people
publish results of NT benchmarks?  Oh wait, I guess that doesn't apply
to ones they sponsor (wonder who's gonna come out on top in those?) ;)

IMO, the only way I'd believe those results is if I was standing in
the lab watching it.  Other than that, as I said.. given Microsoft's
business practices, I wouldn't weigh to heavily on any test results
sponsored by them.

Just my $0.02.

--
Jim Mock  System Administrator  jim@corp.au.triax.com  ,-._|\  FreeBSD