Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:22:31 +0100
From:      Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, vieux.bedouin@orange.fr
Subject:   Re: [freebsd 10]language

Le Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:58:01 +0100,
Eric Rapilly <vieux.bedouin@orange.fr> a écrit :

> Hi there. Sorry to disturb you. I did install a freebsd 10 on an
> intel i3 machine, but I'm an old newbie with unix, and i'have got
> some problems with this O.S.
> First of all, it's all english american, included GUI (gnome 2) and I
> prefer my natural language, i.e French. I tried to find some
> information on the net, but what i did find does'nt look to be
> convenient.Could you please help me ? thanks any way.

Most GUI are in french without problem, you must set your locale and
sometime install language packages (for example for LibreOffice or
Firefox).

See (a bit outdated)
http://diablotins.davenulle.org/index.php/Francophonie

The handbook
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/fr/books/handbook/using-localization.html

(smae in english, I don't know if french version is up to date)
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/using-localization.html

Here for Xfce I've just in my $/.xinitrc:

export LC_ALL=fr_FR.ISO8859-15
export LANG=fr_FR.ISO8859-15
startxfce4

Anyway, most of the base system and the documentation is in english.

Regards,