Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 16:34:06 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        fredriks@mcs.com (Lars Fredriksen), terry@cs.weber.edu, dufault@hda.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: SMP work

>> Terry Lambert writes:
>> >

>> > I have found this file to be corrupt.  Intel will mail you the spec
>> > and it will only take a couple of days if you call their 800 number
>> > for their doc department.  Or they may have fixed the file once I
>> > reported it to their FTP person.
>> >

>> I thought so too, until I printed the file on a HP Laser Printer!
>>
>> Ghostscript views it fine too, but QMS, NCR and a few other printers
>> I tried barfed on it.
>
>Probably since it is is PS-Adobe-3.0 instead of 2.0:
>^[%-12345X@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PostScript^M
>^D%!PS-Adobe-3.0^M
>
>Also note the ^[ and ^D on the first two lines, that probably confuses
>the h*ll out of a QMS or NCR printer.

I wouldn't expect many non-HP printers to understand HP's Printer Job
Language.  Perhaps I should commit this addition to /etc/magic:

#
# magic.pjl: HP Printer Job Language (PJL)
#
0       string          ^[%-12345X      HP PJL (printer job language) commands
0       string          @PJL            HP PJL (printer job language) commands

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1