Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:28:02 -0500
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: font size on console.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:15:34 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas
<keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2004-10-25 08:48, pixiedave <pixiedave@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hey all, is therer a way to adjust the "resolution" on the console?  I
> > have played around with the settings in sysinstall, but it does not
> > apear to do anything.  I have huge characters, and like small size
> > fonts and more real estate.
> >
> > If it matters, ATI 7500 TV card and a 17 inch lcd display.
> > Running 6.0 on a P4 Intel Board.
>
> You can always try to kldload vesa.ko at boot time and then experiment
> with VESA 800x600 modes:
>
>         # vidcontrol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600

Even without the VESA being loaded, setting appropriate fonts and
doing a vidcontrol 80x60 will be a big help.  I run the 80x60 on my
laptop which is a radeon 7500 14" LCD.  It gives me a LOT more text
area.  man vidcontrol is the real resource on the matter.

> Someone was working on improved VESA support for the FreeBSD console.
> The last time I checked the patch that floated around the -current
> mailing list, it supported 800x600 modes, 1024x768, even 1280x1024 on
> some adapters.
>
> Then, there's always X11 :-)

I didn't know that one could pass 1024x768.  Thought there was some or
another issue with it, but maybe that's just for displaying splash
images.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.