Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:05:35 -0400
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7-RELEASE crash [file system]

Charles Swiger wrote:

>From: "Andriy Gapon" <agapon@excite.com>
>
>>Unfortunately I didn't have a debug kernel and post-mortem one didn't
>>match, so probably this is of little help in debugging.
>>

>Why is FreeBSD configured not produce a crash dump by default?  Would it be
>useful if -STABLE was configured to produce crash dumps, and when a release
>is frozen and tagged, the crash dump option gets toggled off as part of the
>release cycle?

    Reason #1 may be that some folks might not have enough space in
/var to hold one or more crash dumps (in particular, a large server
box with 4GB of RAM might easily run into this problem).

    Reason #2 might be that a crash dump isn't of much use without a
kernel that has debugging symbols in it.

--
Chris BeHanna
chris@pennasoft.com