Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:41:29 +0100
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: `make release`: what is "disc2"?

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 03:23:36PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > I go to /$CHROOTDIR/R/cdrom and I found disc1 and disc2 with about 150 MB each.
>  >
>  > My question is: do I need to mkisofs disc2 too? Or disc1 is just the
>  > really matters to make a cd.
>
> The second disc is the "live filesystem" CD which can be
> used as a "fixit" CD.  If you just want to install the
> system, you only need the first CD.  However, the fixit
> CD can be really useful sometimes, e.g if you broke your
> root filesystem accidentally.
>
> You can also put the installation and fixit stuff onto a
> single CD, just put the distriution sets from disc1 into
> a subdirectory called "FreeBSD".  Sysinstall will find
> them there.  This is how I made the "combi" ISO image that
> can be downloaded from ftp7.de.freebsd.org.
>
>  > This `make release` took 8 hours to complete (without ports and docs!) in my
>  > powerfull celeron 266.
>
> Nice joke.  :-)
>
> Much of the release process is I/O-bound, such as checking
> out all the sources and running installworld.  A fast disk
> (or better yet, multiple fast disks) will help more than a
> fast processor.
>
> It takes about 3 hours on my Athlon-850 with a (not so
> fast) IDE disk, _including_ ports and docs, but with a
> specially optimized release makefile.
>
> Regards
>    Oliver
>
> --
> Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co KG, Oettingenstr. 2, 80538 München
> Any opinions expressed in this message may be personal to the author
> and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix in any way.
>
> "All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream" (E. A. Poe)

Hi,

OK. I think that I will make a combi ISO too.

Just one more question:

You said to put disc1 in a directory called FreeBSD. Mt question is: where do
I put the disc2 contents: in some directory or in the root of cdrom?

The 8 hours that took `make release` don't included 3 hours for the first
`make buildworld`, so total is 11 hours. Someday I'll buy a faster computer!

Thanks again,

Nuno Teixeira
Dir. Técnico
pt-quorum.com