Date:      22 Mar 1996 19:37:42 GMT
From:      graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de (Thomas Graichen)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New CPU, old /kernel won't boot

Mike R. Shuyler (mshuyler@zoom.com) wrote:
: I WAS running 2.1.0 on my 486DX2/50 just fine without any problems until I
: replaced my cpu with an Intel Pentium Overdrive CPU 83Mhz that was *given*
: to me.

: Now when I try to boot the system I get a PANIC unknown cpu type or
: similar message.  I had built a custom kernel for the machine, and the cpu
: type was set for i486 in the kernel config, so I understand why I can't
: start the system.

it would eventually an idea to do something like NetBSD - if they find a
unsupported CPU-type they "fall back" to a lower one - i once took a disk from
an i386 machine to an i486 one and and so it worked fine - it said something
like ... - ok now i've put the NetBSD cd in - here's their code from
/sys/arch/i386/i386/machdep.c:

#if !defined(I386_CPU) && !defined(I486_CPU) && !defined(I586_CPU)
#error No CPU classes configured.
#endif
#ifndef I586_CPU
	case CPUCLASS_586:
#ifdef I486_CPU
		printf("NOTICE: lowering CPU class to i486\n");
		cpu_class = CPUCLASS_486;
		break;
#endif
#endif
#ifndef I486_CPU
	case CPUCLASS_486:
#ifdef I386_CPU
		printf("NOTICE: lowering CPU class to i386\n");
		cpu_class = CPUCLASS_386;
		break;
#endif
#endif
#ifndef I386_CPU
	case CPUCLASS_386:
		panic("CPU class not configured");
#endif
	default:
		break;

why shouldn't we do simply the same - any points against it ?

  thomas graichen    graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de    graichen@FreeBSD.org

  perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
      there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery